Why add salt?
Have you ever wondered why people add salt to pasta? Because it makes the pasta firmer and enhances its flavour.
Boil it Fast
Did you know that pasta water will boil faster if it is covered with a lid?
If you are going to microwave leftover pasta, the Chef recommends that you heat one serving at a time so the pasta will cook evenly.
Nobody likes mushy pasta. To avoid this, the pasta should not be kept in the water after it has reached its Al Dente texture. Also, don't add uncooked pasta to water until it has come to a rolling boil, and make sure it boils steadily throughout cooking.
Another way to reheat pasta that has already been mixed with sauce would be in an oiled frying pan over low-medium heat. While cooking, if the sauce is too thick or the pasta too dry, simply add a little water or more sauce.
Bringing it all Together
Here's a trick to beautifully combine pasta and sauce: while the pasta is boiling, heat the sauce in a broad frying pan. When the pasta is almost cooked, strain and add it to the heated sauce, stirring on high until the pasta is fully cooked.
Fresh Pasta Awareness
Fresh pasta cooks quickly, so keep an eye on the pasta and taste regulary until you obtain the desired consistency.
Don't Let it Stick
Keep pasta from sticking together! Boil it in plenty of water and stir immediately after adding it to the pot.
Since fresh pasta cooks and then cools off so quickly, make sure you have everything else for the meal prepared ahead of time.
Don't Boil Over
This is interesting: Putting a wooden spoon across the top of the pot of cooking pasta will help keep the pasta from boiling over.
1. Never add olive oil to the water.
2. Add about 1 tablespoon of salt for every litre of water.
3. Never rinse the pasta, not in cold water nor in hot water.
4. Remove the pasta when they are about ¾ cooked (very Al dente, very crunchy)
5. Always keep the cooking water away from the pasta.
6. Add 1 to 2 drops of the cooking water to the sauce before adding the pasta. It's the sauce that will finish cooking the pasta.
How to cook pasta in the oven?
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC)
2. Add 125ml of water to 400ml of Marinara or Napoletana Sauce
3. Spread half of the sauce on the bottom of the plate that is going in the oven
4. Align 10 frozen manicotti or cannelloni on the sauce
5. Spread the rest of the sauce on the pasta
6. Add grated mozzarella or Parmesan.
7. Cook in oven for 25 to 30 minutes.